Monday 19 July 2010

nest building

It seems appropriate to be thinking of building nests right now (7 and a half weeks to go!) so I thought I'd post these images of nests created by bowerbirds. They're from National Geographic, and the images are by Tim Laman. They're quite extraordinary constructions which can really only be described as 'home decoration'. I would like to point out that in this species though, it's the male that likes to arrange the soft furnishings!



..I think I have a special fondness for this one with two cans of coke and some sweetie wrappers attempting to lure the female to his pad.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting these images. Bower birds seem to have an extraordinary eye for colour and design. I particularly enjoy their prediliction for choosing objects that share the same colour, so that a nest might be all grey, or all blue, as pictured.

    ReplyDelete